http://postcards-from-my-sofa.blogspot.com/2012/05/on-being-mom.html

Sunday, May 13, 2012

On Being a Mom





Mothers Day.   The holiday was created by Anna Jarvis in 1908 and she promoted it, until 1914 when Woodrow Wilson made it a National Holiday.  By the time she died in 1948, the holiday had been so commercialized, she wished she hadn't  founded it.

 I became a Mom at age 24, in 1974.  I grew up in a small town and mostly, you got married and had kids.  Some of us went to college, but it wasn't a necessity during that period.  When my Son came into the world, I relied on my Mom for a lot of guidance and help.  I didn't work and was a stay at home Mom for a while.  If it wasn't for my Mom, I would have been lost.  "What did you do?" I would ask. or "What would you do?"  She always gave me good advise on which I could base my decisions.  We enjoyed the time we spent together.  She taught me how to can fruits and vegetables for my family, and we went grocery shopping together every week.  It was wonderful.  

No Mother is perfect.  By virtue of taking charge of another life for eighteen years you open yourself  up for a lot of heartache and criticism. We do our best with what we have and what we know at the time.  But the rewards can be gratifying.  My biggest reward from being a Mom is the two adorable grandchildren my Son gave me.

On this day, I am blessed to still have my Mom with me.  Thanks Mom for your solicited and unsolicited advice through the years, I listened either way and really enjoyed the time we spent together when Andy was a baby.

Happy Mothers Day!





No comments: