http://postcards-from-my-sofa.blogspot.com/2009/12/winter-wonderland.html

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Winter Wonderland



It is the Sunday morning after Christmas, and I find myself on the sofa as usual. Except my sofa is in Hoffman Estates, IL this particular morning and I have just spent a lovely holiday with my family. Instead of a four hour plane ride home, it was a three hour drive. Instead of tearful goodbyes, there were hugs and kisses knowing that we would be seeing each other very soon again. (God willing).

I am looking out the patio door and seeing a beautiful, winter scene, with the snow lying heavy on the evergreen branches, realizing how much I have missed an honest to God winter. Most of you will say that I am crazy, (my husband will be first in line for that one) but there is something about the silence of a snowfall. It is very peaceful to me and takes me back to my childhood where we had a lot of fun ice skating on Wall Lake, and sledding down Bever's mountain every winter.

Last weekend we drove back to Kalamazoo and pulled in our Son's drive just in time to see the Grandkid's sledding down their hill. They had built a ramp of sorts and the joy on their faces made my heart skip a beat. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The joy of being closer to home for me is something I have longed for and is finally a reality. I thank God every day for answering my prayers and I am going to make the most of this opportunity, for we never know what tomorrow will bring.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous holiday! I'm so glad.

We had snow yesterday. It was an unexpected blessing, adding a good bit of welcome drama to the season. It is magic to watch those white flakes drift down so silently. I'm glad you are enjoying a good dose of snow and a real winter!