http://postcards-from-my-sofa.blogspot.com/2009/05/not-so-incredible-shrinking-woman.html

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Not So Incredible Shrinking Woman


It was mid January of this year, when I finally decided I had enough of being 50 pounds over weight and began a serious attempt to start losing weight. I dusted off the treadmill, broke out the diet entrees, put my head down and started the grueling process. The hardest part is portion control and not thinking about food 24-7. Have you noticed how many commercials there are on TV showing delicious foods? Then the next one is about losing weight on Nutri-system or Jenny Craig, okay, I'm officially confused.

After sixty days of walking the treadmill five to six days a week and watching what I ate I could see little difference, except my shoes were looser. Can you believe it? I was losing weight in my freaking feet. They never looked fat to me! I needed a new plan.

I stepped up my exercise plan, starting to run on the treadmill and doing the Bowflex three times a week. I bought new Nike running shoes, and the Nike+ for my Ipod. I had to give up running outside due to the beating my body took and the desire to pick up the cherry gummy bears lying on the sidewalk.

To aid me in not craving food I sent away for some Acai Berry tablets that supposedly boosted your metabolism. It may have been all in my head but they did work, along with the stepped up exercise, I have managed to lose twenty pounds. Of course I still have to point the weight loss out to people which is disheartening. At this age, I am not dropping 4 dress sizes when I lose 20 lbs. like I see on TV. I have gone from a woman's size 1X to a misses size 14 which by the way still looks huge in the Dress Barn mirror. (I hate that mirror).

The ugly truth about losing weight when you are close to sixty is that it is no picnic. There is the post-menopausal paunch that all the crunches in the world have little to no effect on, the wrinkles that weren't there before you lost weight, the chicken arms flapping in the breeze..

This time I am driven to stick to it, it may take me a year(or more) to lose the 50 pounds, but by god I am going to do it.

I'm sure glad they invented Miller 64 beer. That's one thing I don't have to give up..So lay in the beer, I'm on my way to Michigan!

No comments: