http://postcards-from-my-sofa.blogspot.com/2009/03/ashes-to-ashes.html

Monday, March 23, 2009

Ashes to Ashes


The Lenten season is a time for reflection and sacrifice on our part in preparation for the celebration of Easter. Some people give up their favorite foods, or activities for the forty-some days.

I myself gave up ice cream. I love ice cream. I scream for ice cream. Normally it isn't a problem, I just don't buy it. But my husband came home from the store on Sunday with a package of Klondike Heath flavored ice cream bars. I mentioned I had given up ice cream for Lent and he just looked at me blankly, and said "I didn't." So far I have not caved.

In the vein of reflection, I am reading the Bible, deciding to start with Genesis and going right to the end. I have never read the Bible cover to cover. I have made it to Joshua. I am officially a God-fearing woman. Clearly, God does not have a sense of humor, which is not good news for me. (As I type this, I am bobbing and weaving to avoid the lightening bolts.)

How is it, you might ask, that a 58 year old woman has not managed to read the Bible in her life-time? Don't forget that I am of the Catholic persuasion and we are not big Bible-benders. I learned about God from the Baltimore Catechism and filled in the blanks. God is Love they say. The God in the Old Testament is a little harsher than that. Poor Moses led all those people out in the desert, got them to the edge of the Promised Land and lost his job to Joshua over some water issue. Boom, you're dead. Thank you very much. Okay.

The Son of God is more my speed. He is a kinder, gentler, God. I can relate to him. He walked a mile in our shoes and knows about our weaknesses. What is really confusing for me is that he is part of the Trinity, so really they are all the same entity. My head hurts.

But it takes more than just loving the Lord to get to Heaven. As Father Larry Richards tells us, "God is not Barney", you know I love you, you love me. We must accept the fact that he died for our sins and be grateful and live a thankful life. And hopefully he will be a little more understanding than his Father when we fail.

I have to go now, the hand basket for my ride to hell is here.

No comments: